Contract Value: £4m
Client: Private Client
The existing commercial garage was one of the few remaining modernist buildings in Exeter. It is considered an important landmark building within the City. The brief required Kensington Taylor to restore the existing 1920`s building and develop the rear of the site in sympathy with the original design, to provide seven houses and offices.
There was a strong wish within the community to retain this landmark building. This decision informed the design approach in the development of the site. An additional floor has been added to the existing building providing further accommodation in a clear glass box without imposing upon the inherent qualities of the original building. The ground floor fenestration has been sympathetically replaced together with a new central entrance lobby under the original canopy. The existing archway provides gated access to the new mews court of seven houses, which are designed to echo and complement providing an integrated and comprehensive scheme.
The scheme directly responds to the important context and character of the site, retaining and enhancing a local landmark building, with considerable local community involvement. The new elements of the development echo the original building providing a fully integrated, sympathetic and comprehensive approach to the design of this brownfield site. The original modernist building is not listed but it is certainly worthy of retention being one of the few remaining buildings of this type in Exeter. The development has responded and provided an informed refurbishment and new build scheme that takes full advantage of the site and the distant views of the City and Cathedral. It retains and further enhances the landmark status of the original building.